Enys as it stands today is a relatively new building. It took the place of a fairly modest E-shaped Elizabethan manor house which burnt down in the late 1820’s.
The current Georgian house was built in the 1830’s. The main part of the house is over two levels featuring a hall with an impressive curved staircase under an overhead lantern that allows natural light to fill the large open hall.
In addition to the hall the ground floor also features three large reception rooms (dining room, library and drawing room) with high ceilings and a smaller writing room.
On the second floor there were six bedrooms of varying sizes and two bathrooms.
The Servants’ Quarters, built over three floors, contain the majority of the 34 rooms of the house. Most of the rooms are generous by the standards of the day, and the walls of the butler’s room were covered in oak panelling. The original kitchen area is at the furthest point away from the dining room, though there is evidence to suggest that a kitchen was put in closer to the dining room at a later date.
Enys was occupied by the Enys family from the 1830’s up until the Second World War when it was requisitioned by the Royal Navy for the Dutch Navy. Family members briefly lived in Enys after the war and it was used for a short spell as a boys’ boarding school, before being abandoned.
Some remedial work was done on the roof to prevent water penetration in the 1980’s and more recent work has been carried out to allow the building to stabilise. Large areas of plaster have had to be removed to treat dry rot and there have also been areas of wet rot, woodworm and beetle. The construction of the outside walls has meant that water penetrating from the roof gutters has been able to get behind the plaster and spread relatively unnoticed. None of the work could start before a bat license was in place with a detailed method statement .
Through 2018, work has been done on the hall and drawing room to paint the walls and repair the ceiling. This has preserved the forgotten feel of the house that many of the regular visitors have come to love, but simply making it slightly less dusty and more pleasant.
Enys is currently open to the public during some of the garden events.
You can learn more about the story of Enys here.
In 2019 it will be open during the Bluebell Festival for the yearly art exhibition, in June for the Craft Fair, Food Jam in July and Bee Fair in August. For more information about when the house is next open, please visit our events section.